Israel-Gaza violence: Israel carries out attacks on Gaza Strip — live updates | DW | 14.05.2021

  • Parts of northern Gaza have been hit by heavy airstrikes and artillery 
  • Hamas has fired dozens of rockets towards Israel in retaliation
  • Israelis living near the Gaza border have rushed to bomb shelters
  • The IDF has said no troops are currently on the ground within the Gaza Strip
  • At least 115 Palestinians have died, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry
  • Eight people have been killed in Israel

This live article was last updated at 6:32 UTC

Fresh clashes in the West Bank

Clashes broke out early Friday between Palestinians and Israeli forces in several parts of the West Bank where a protest had been taking place, the Maan news agency reported.

Earlier, the agency said on Facebook that similar clashes were underway at a refugee camp in Hebron and in the northern city of Jenin. The WAFA news agency said 10 Palestinians were injured by live fire from Israeli soldiers near the separation barrier in northeast Jenin.

Palestinian death toll hits 115 

The Palestinian Health Ministry said Friday that 115 Palestinians have died and more than 620 have been injured since the conflict erupted last week.

Eight Israelis have been killed, according to Israeli media. The most recent was an elderly woman who died while running to an air-raid shelter.

Israel strikes tunnel network under Gaza City

The Israel Defense Force (IDF) said Friday some 160 of its aircraft struck a network of tunnels under Gaza City, which had been dug by Hamas. The midnight airstrikes, lasting nearly 40 minutes, dropped 450 missiles on 150 targets.

The military said it was the largest strike since the fighting broke out earlier this week.

Video footage shared on social media, and taken on Friday morning, purportedly shows the destruction of several buildings.

The IDF also said Friday it shot down a Hamas drone that had crossed into the Jewish-majority state.

Rockets fired from Gaza continued to pound southern Israel on Friday morning, The Times of Israel reported. 

Two men wounded in Ashkelon from Gaza rocket barrage

Two men have been wounded and taken to a local hospital in the Israeli city of Ashkelon, following a barrage of rockets from Gaza. The Israeli emergency medical service Magen David Adom said a man in his 50s was in serious condition and taken in for treatment due to shrapnel in his stomach. 

Another man in his 90s was in stable condition and taken in for treatment due to a head injury.

Palestinians stage rallies in West Bank against Gaza operation 

Palestinians in the West Bank cities of Nablus, Hebron and Jenin staged massive rallies in solidarity with Gaza, according to Palestinian local media. The Palestinian Safa Press Agency tweeted a video of a march in Nablus against the Israeli operation in the Gaza Strip. 

Police in Nablus are using gas canisters to disperse the crowds, the Al-Jazeera Mubasher channel has reported.

UN calls for ceasefire out of respect for Muslim holiday

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called on all sides to commit to a ceasefire out of respect for the ongoing Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr. 

“Out of respect for the spirit of Eid, I appeal for an immediate deescalation and cessation of hostilities in Gaza and Israel,” Guterres tweeted. “Too many innocent civilians have already died. This conflict can only increase radicalization and extremism in the whole region.”

Eid al-Fitr marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan in the Islamic faith. Muslims typically celebrate the holiday by congregating for prayer and eating a special meal, among other practices. 

The UN Security Council said it will publicly discuss the escalating situation on Sunday. 

IDF clarifies Gaza operations after misleading tweet

An earlier tweet from the IDF about its military operations towards Gaza appeared to cause confusion over whether its troops had actually entered the Palestinian enclave.

Two hours after issuing the tweet, the IDF published a clarification that there was an “internal communication” problem, and said there were “no soldiers” in Hamas-controlled areas of Gaza.

“There are currently no IDF ground troops inside the Gaza Strip. IDF air and ground forces are carrying out strikes on targets in the Gaza Strip,” the clarification said.

Israel urgently warns citizens in Gaza border towns

Israel has asked citizens in towns that lie within four kilometers (roughly 2.5 miles) of Gaza’s border to head to bomb shelters. These citizens are expected to stay in the shelters until further notice. 

Infografik Karte Vorwarnzeit Rakete aus Gaza-Streifen EN

Israel says troops deployed to Gaza Strip

Israel said it has deployed troops to the Gaza Strip late Thursday, but the extent of their operations is unclear. 

 

“IDF air and ground troops are currently attacking in the Gaza Strip,” the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said in a tweet. 

IDF spokesperson John Conricus confirmed an operation involving ground troops in comments to AFP news agency. 

When asked by Germany’s DPA news agency about the operation, an IDF spokeswoman would not say whether troops had actually entered the Gaza Strip, of if they are carrying out operations from the Israeli side of the border. 

Early Friday morning saw some of the heaviest artillery fire and airstrikes on Gaza since hostilities began. 

A new barrage of rockets from Gaza followed the IDF announcement. Rocket alarms went off across southern Israel in the cities of Ashdod and Beersheba early Friday, with Hamas saying it shot off 50 rockets toward the area, the Times of Israel newspaper reported. 

Benjamin Netanyahu said in a video message that military operations against Hamas would “go on as long as possible” and that Hamas would “pay a very high price.”

An Israeli tank with a flaming cannon

An Israeli tank fires in the direction of the Gaza Strip Thursday afternoon

Hamas warns against ground invasion

A Hamas spokesperson late Thursday warned that the Israeli military would suffer heavy casualties if its troops entered Gaza.

Earlier Thursday, chief Israeli military spokesman, Brig. Gen. Hidai Zilberman, said troops were massing along the Gaza border for a possible ground operation. He said tanks, armored vehicles and artillery were being prepared “for mobilization at any given moment.”

Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz said Thursday he had approved the mobilization of an additional 9,000 reservists, two days after the army mobilized 5,000 reservists.

Israeli troops last entered the Gaza Strip in 2014 during Operation Protective Edge against Hamas. 

wd/wmr (dpa, AP, AFP, Reuters)


Source

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button