In fact, 55 percent regularly have an extra-long bath or shower so they can have more time to themselves, and a further one in six have been known to give themselves a pep talk in the bathroom.
Sex, phoning friends, drinking beer, and writing to-do lists are other things Brits get up to in the bathroom.
It also emerged that when it comes to bathroom rituals, 82 percent are particular about what way round the toilet roll faces – with 67 percent believing that the only correct way is to have the paper coming down “over” the rest of the roll to hide it.
And 74 percent must always shower in the same order – with the most popular routine for washing being face first, followed by hair, arms and armpits.
A spokesman for B&Q, which commissioned the study to find out what really goes on in the most secretive room in the house, said: “The bathroom is more than just a suite, taps and showers.
“It’s where we go when we need to be ourselves, it sees our greatest moments of vulnerability, both small and big.
“We help our customers build perfect spaces, with everything under one roof and our showroom teams ready to help, we want Brits to create that perfect space that’s all theirs, allowing them to be whoever they want to be.”
It also emerged 38 percent claim to have some of their best ideas when having a shower or bath.
More than a third have also done something in the bathroom they’ve kept a secret, such as eating or taking a nap.
One in six would even describe the bathroom as the heart of the home – but more than a quarter don’t like the way theirs is decorated.
As a result, 37 percent have plans to give it a makeover.
Changing the tiles, making the room bigger and a fresh colour were the top improvements respondents would like to make, while one in five long for underfloor heating.
While the biggest irritations in current bathrooms were toilets that don’t flush properly, leaking taps and running out of loo roll.
TOP 40 UNUSUAL THINGS ADULTS HAVE DONE IN THE BATHROOM:
- Read a book
- Had sex
- Hid in there to avoid people
- Tried on new clothes/shoes
- Phoned friends/loved ones
- Washed the dog
- Fallen asleep in the bath
- Had a cup of tea
- Hung the washing to dry
- Sang in the mirror
- Given themselves a pep talk
- Played online games
- Painted their toenails
- Answered work emails
- Streamed a TV show in the bath
- Planned the weekly food shop
- Played video games
- Written to-do lists
- Watched the news
- Played games while sat on the toilet (like throwing a toilet roll into a bin)
- Taken or edited photos
- Fantasised about a scenario in the mirror
- Had a dance
- Had a beer
- Streamed a TV show on the loo
- Practiced a speech
- Had a sleep on the floor
- Stood on the side of the bath or toilet to see their whole outfit/shoes
- Had a business idea
- Answered the phone to their boss
- Fallen asleep on the loo
- Done some washing up
- Re-enacted a part of their day in the mirror
- Sent a message on a dating app
- Given houseplants a “spa day”
- Taken a video call on the loo
- Taken a video call in the bath
- Painted or drawn something